Tired of starting over? Stop Quitting.
Falling off the wagon doesn’t have to be devastating as long as you get back up! I’ve been there, so I’m speaking the truth. To get started with exercise and changing your eating habits, you need a realistic plan that’s sustainable.
Here are my 5 tips for getting started with exercise and making healthy eating a part of your lifestyle. I want you to pull out a piece of paper and write this down!
- Write down your “WHY”. Why do you want to exercise more and eat better?
- Set S.M.A.R.T. Goals Do you want to lose 10 lbs? Fit into those size 6 jeans again? Build lean muscle? Or simply lose the jiggle? The important thing here is to set SMART goals (specific, measurable, attainable, reasonable, time specific.). Research shows writing down your goals embeds them in your memory and is the first step in making them real and concrete.
- Determine what type of exercise will help you reach your goals. A combination of strength training, cardio, and flexibility training generally yields the best results no matter your fitness goals. This will help you lose weight, gain muscle definition and increase your flexibility over your entire body and improve overall fitness.
- Schedule your workouts on your calendar. Schedule the days and times you’re going to workout each week. Remember, be realistic and don’t try to do too much too fast. Add your workouts to your calendar and set a reminder. Give your workouts the same priority as your other appointments. Watch my YouTube video Top 10 Tips for Starting an Exercise Program.
- Meal plan. Create a healthy meal plan that will support your goals.
Don’t Join a Gym Just Yet
Joining a traditional gym is great, if you go. Instead I recommend starting with workouts you can do at home. You’re more likely to get in your workouts if you can do them when it’s convenient for you. The Jiggle Free Online Fitness Studio gives you unlimited access to professional fitness classes led by a certified fitness instructor (yours truly! 💥). Or you can try one of my fitness challenges for a structured workout plan designed to get results quickly.
Learn to Eat Healthy
Adopting a healthier way of eating is the toughest part about creating a healthy lifestyle. But it doesn’t have to be. The key is first educating yourself on the components of a healthy diet (read my article Macronutrients Simplified) so you can make smarter food choices. The next step is to find healthy substitutions for your favorite foods. Overtime, healthier eating will become easier and instinctual.
Join my 30 Day Fat Burn Fitness Challenge that includes an 8 Week Transition Diet to help you slowly transition to a healthy diet. Sign up today, feel better tomorrow!
Workout Proof Your Hair
If you’re a black women, you know the struggle with working out and our hair. And it’s a valid issue. As a fitness instructor, I had to find hairstyles that could withstand the sweat and humidity of my fitness classes. After a bit and trial and error, my Workout Proof Hair tutorials were born!
Check out my YouTube channel for workout proof hairstyles that outlast any workout!