Outre Springy Afro Twist
These Outre Springy Afro Twist crochet braids take me back to my ROOTS! 💕 All my life I’ve yearned for thick, full, healthy hair that looks just like this.
While the length and density (thickness) of our natural hair stems largely from genetics, the health of our hair is fully dependent upon the care and love we show it.
But, while we’re working on getting our hair to optimal health, this crochet style can serve up big, healthy hair goals in the meantime.
Watch my Outre Springy Afro Twist crochet tutorial below to learn how to create this style in just 1 hour! But be sure to follow these protective style prep tips before you install.
How to Prepare Your Hair for Protective Styling
- Be sure to start with freshly washed and conditioned hair. Use a shampoo and conditioner best suited for your hair texture and porosity.
- Hydrate and moisturize to ensure your hair is sufficiently moisturized underneath your protective style. For low porosity hair like mine, I like to use the L.O.C.O. Method (liquid, oil, cream, oil).
- Liquid – Water or liquid leave-in conditioner to hydrate the hair.
- Oil – This first layer of oil moisturizes the hair. Be sure to use oils that penetrate the hair for this step.
- Cream – Cream based moisturizers lock in the moistures and seals in the oil.
- Oil – This second layer of oil offers additional moisture and also seals in the hydration and moisture from the previous steps. Be sure to use a sealing oil for this step.
- Regularly moisturize your scalp and natural roots throughout the life of your protective style.